skip to main content

Can I still file claims for an OTC medicine or drug for reimbursement through my HCRA?

Yes. Beginning January 1, 2011 you must have a prescription from your physician for an OTC drug or medicine (with the exception of insulin).

The OTC item must still follow the same IRS guidelines in order to be considered eligible for reimbursement:

  • The item must be a medicine or drug used "primarily for the treatment or alleviation of a physical defect or illness" and would not be used but for a particular medical condition.
  • The item must not be used for general health or cosmetic purposes.
  • You, your spouse, dependent or adult child through age 26 must use the item.
  • The expense must be for medical care during the current Benefit Period

Get Adobe Reader       Print     Close